I admit it. I used to be that girl – the one who wait for a “special occasion” to use the vintage glassware and set a beautiful table. When the birthdays or holiday parties came, I would go all out. Then, as I got more entrenched in the work of raising kids and homemaking, rather than spending most of my time working outside my home, I got to thinking. Why not make this a night to enjoy music with dinner? Why not throw a dinner party for friends on a Wednesday evening to watch American Idol? I couldn’t think of a reason not to, so I did! I started paying more attention to what I could do to make every day regular life…well…less regular. This is my top ten for easy, inexpensive, everyday entertaining.
Staci’s Top Ten Tips for Everyday Entertaining
- Light candles at night (nothing scented if you are putting them around food).
- Play music (theme the music to match your food or mood).
- Make a cocktail. I like anything with Champaign, but lemonade, lime and soda water over crushed ice is good too!
- Don’t wait for the weekend to invite friends over for potluck, takeout, games, television, a movie, whatever.
- Pick up some flowers from the grocery store and arrange them yourself. Put them where you will see and enjoy their beauty.
- Frame a few of all of those digital photos you’re storing on your hard drive.
- Buy cloth napkins (I like the ones I find these days at Target) and use them instead of paper.
- Eat in the dining room. Better yet, eat in front of the fireplace.
- Cook breakfast from scratch: pancakes, waffles, Quiche, bread, muffins (you can even eat it for dinner)!
- Use the good stuff: china, glassware, linen, napkin rings, whatever you have. Really, what are you waiting for?
Send me your ideas ~ I’d love to get inspired!